Engine Parts and Functions
Marine Diesel Engine Parts and Functions
Parts and Respective functions
1. Turbo Charger
Advantages over Naturally Aspirated engine
- It promotes a cooler engine thereby, suitable for long voyages.
- It is proven that the turbo-charged engine has higher fuel oil efficiency which means, it affects lower fuel consumption than the non-turbo-charged engines.
- The engine operates smoother and quieter.
- Additional maintenance and space
- Additional cost and expenditure
Cross-head connects the piston rod and connecting rod. The cross-head can be found in large engines. This part provides enough angle so that the piston rod will not strike the inner sides of the cylinder therefore, it's in the lower portion of the cylinder. So that its location is between the piston rod and connecting rod. Therefore the Cross-head connects the piston rod and the connecting rod in large engines since medium to small engines in general, do not have Cross-head.
5. Connection or Connecting rod
This connects from the cross-head to the crankshaft. Like the piston and the piston rod, it is the primary passage in the transmittal of energy from the piston to the crankshaft which in every respect the movement of the connecting rod = piston = piston rod. All movements herein done, are reciprocating and connecting rod is one of the major components of reciprocating masses other than piston, piston rod, pushrods, and other parts of the conventional engine.
In large engines, the valve is installed in a valve cage and is secured from falling since at the end of the valve stem is threaded and lockscrews secure the valve from falling. The valve cage its cylinder side is where the valve seat is inserted and is movable. therefore, the valve and the cage are one assembly and can be taken out and installed inside its bore of the cylinder by means of valve puller.
- Intake valve
- Exhaust valve
- Intake valve - controls the admittance of ambient air for combustion. It also seals the cylinder from leaking combustion gases and pressure leaks.
- Exhaust valve - opens during exhaust stroke to give way of combustion gases out of the engine cylinder. And also keeps the cylinder sealed from leaking during compression stroke.